ABOUT THE EVENT
Cycling Down Dementia (CDD) is a virtual fundraising event from Alzheimer’s Research UK, where you complete your challenge in your own time and in your own way.
There are three challenges to choose from: choose your own distance (Maverick), ride 300 miles (Pioneer), or ride 1,000 miles (Epic) between 1 November and 31 January to raise £150 for life-changing dementia research.
- Register to take part in Cycling Down Dementia (CDD).
- Follow the steps to create a Cycling Down Dementia supporter page, where people can view your progress and sponsor you. Connect your supporter page to either Strava (watch this video to find out more) or MapMyFitness (watch this video to find out more) to make sure your activity is tracked.
- Make sure you track every activity you do, otherwise it won’t be counted towards your total.
- Get cycling! If you’re looking for inspiration and motivation during the winter months, join our dedicated CDD Facebook page: Cycling Down Dementia - TeamARUK.
- Check your progress on the leaderboards and see how you compare to the CDD community.
You choose how and when you ride. The challenge runs from 1 November 2019 to 30 January 2020 and you can take on the Pioneer 300-mile challenge, Epic 1,000-mile challenge or be a Maverick and choose your own distance.
You can log your miles any way you like, whether on an indoor bike or on the road, just as long as you track your rides on Strava or MapMyFitness or log them manually.
Nope, Cycling Down Dementia is completely free!
We just ask you to set yourself a challenge that will push you, and ask your friends, family and colleagues to sponsor you so we can continue funding life-changing dementia research.
Yes, you can find some downloads to help you with your fundraising and promotion of your Cycling Down Dementia challenge on the Inspiration page.
Yes, a team can be anyone you like; friends, family, work colleagues or your cycling club. When you register, you can create a team or join one if it’s already been set up. If you’re in charge of setting up the team, follow these simple steps:
- Create a name for your team while you’re registering.
- Once you’ve finished your registration and have secured your own team page, use the “Invite Members” button on your team page to send email invitations.
- If someone else has set up the team, just search for the team name when you’re registering and you’ll be automatically connected once you complete your registration.
Company/corporate: If the organisation you work for has chosen Alzheimer's Research UK as your charity of the year, select your organisation name from the drop-down at sign-up so your challenge will count towards your company total.
Teams are a great way to measure your miles and fundraising against people you know. Once you've signed up, visit your everydayhero page and click "Create a new team" or "Join an existing team" on the right.
The Pioneer challenge is 300 miles and Epic is 1,000 miles. The Maverick option lets you choose the distance you ride - it's your choice, but make it a challenge!
Yes! You can still set up your supporter page and add rides manually within everydayhero, the fundraising platform.
Many devices are also able to track indoor rides, if not you can manually add the mileage in everydayhero.
- If you have a tracking device, then watch the following videos to see how to link your fitness app to your everydayhero page:
- Strava: https://vimeo.com/195477098
- Mapmyfitness: https://vimeo.com/195456147
- If you don’t have a tracking device then you can add your distances manually on your supporter page.
UKCE, or UK Cycling Events, is a dedicated cycling events company passionate about encouraging all abilities of rider to experience the best cycling the UK has to offer.
It runs well-organised, friendly events including road sportives and mountain bike events, which are suitable for riders of all ages and abilities.
Alzheimer’s Research UK is the official charity partner for UK Cycling Events and we work closely on Cycling Down Dementia.
This year there are two CDD live events that you can sign up to. Click the links below to find out more information;
Absolutely not! You can do it your own way – whether that's cycling 100 miles a week in the gym for ten weeks or clocking up the miles outdoors at weekends. As long as you track all your activity with your tracking app (or manually add the rides) you can complete the challenge however you choose.
- Dementia is one of our greatest medical challenges but at Alzheimer's Research UK, taking on a challenge is what we do best.
- The money you raise will help fund our pioneering research programmes to make breakthroughs possible for people with dementia and their families. Every £20 you raise will power another hour of life-changing research.
- You can find out more about what we do here.
There are so many ways you can raise funds to smash your £150 target! For some useful hints and tips, visit our fundraising webpage here.
Yes, you can! You can buy one through our online shop, or if you raise £400 we'll send you one for free!
100% of profits from our online shop will help to fund our pioneering research into prevention, treatment and a cure for dementia.
Donating through Gift Aid means we can claim an extra 25p for every £1 you donate to our life-changing research. It won’t cost you any extra, but will make a big difference to what we can achieve with your support. Please note, you must be a UK tax payer to enable us to claim Gift Aid.
Jon Snow is a supporter of Alzheimer's Research UK and has volunteered his time to be part of our campaigns over the years, most recently Cycling Down Dementia.